Friday, June 26, 2009

the fat-lady sings

merely 36 hours past my early estimated time of delivery, at long last we have finally seen wriggling mewling little life forms emerge from a tired and confused first time momma.

Striking a pose and a grimace that would be the envy of Elvis' on stage, her upper lip curled to bare ivory fangs, she begins to push! Ever the supportive and proud expecting parents to be, we are up at the wee hours yet another evening to witness and intervene as necessary. (it's always necessary)
Every minute drags into what feels like hours, hunched over her kitty bed but soon that position wears out its novelty and I switch to propping my face up on one arm while peering inside this large Tupperware domicile. The only real problem is that I'm so weary that I can hardly keep the weight of my fat head up on my arm, it is seriously about to fall off (my face off of my hand - not head off body!)

my arm gets tired; my jaw pops open because my palm has been holding it in place and my head does a hard nod forward that jars me awake again. I drift now and then into this other consciousness - aware that I need to be present for the delivery but my mind sneaking off to get a glimpse at the beautiful sites I've yet to honestly experience.

Her contractions are 5-8 minutes apart and she's not very enthusiastic about it, disappointing news because this has happened with other females in the same line. Something needs to change! Maybe if I just close my eyes but still hold on to her dear little paw, stroke her tummy and continue to murmur to her (she won't know if I take this little nap)...
KERTHUNK! that's the sound my brain made when it imagined I was free falling over a cliff and I pop my eyes open to look into the gorge...that's where my girl is on her back with legs wide open now and she's bearing down hard!
.
.
.
.
.
5 hours have passed from beginning to end; I think the deed is done and so far we have had success. I won't count these eggs (into chickens) even though they did hatch.
its been a difficult night and I'm too tired to tickle the keys anymore. 48 hours nearly sleepless unless you count for the 75 minutes I had in the afternoon on Thursday.
our nude arrivals are here and I can finally rest easy!